Monday, August 04, 2003

Susan decides to test the water ...

Okay - I think I may finally have gotten the hang of this blog stuff. Learning that I had to log on was a good step (thank you David).

So, I started thinking about what were my 10 (or 15) all time favorite movies. Please note that I'm making these MY all time favorites. I am not judging them as "films" or art or anything else. Just the ones I liked the best. So far, this is what I came up with off of the top of my head. I think you will figure out that (1) I like being entertained (rather than made to think); (2) I like romance; and (3) I like repartee.

But I did want to say, preliminarily, I've seen Citizen Kane a couple of times and I've never understood what all the hoopla is about. I mean, really ... it's your typical story about a boy and a sled.

Okay, here goes:

(1) Anything with Cary Grant in it except Gunga Din (which I personally thought sucked) and I also am not all that crazy about She Done Him Wrong (although since that was just about his first movie and he was about 20, I'll excuse him). I intended to just include a couple, but once I started, I realized they would take up the whole allotment as a category, and it's just too difficult to rate them in any particular order of preference, so I'll just do them alphabetically:

An Affair to Remember (w/ Deborah Kerr)
Arsenic and Old Lace (w/some dotty old ladies)
Bringing Up Baby (w/ Katherine Hepburn)
Charade (w/ Audrey Hepburn)
Father Goose (w/ Leslie Caron)
I Was a Male War Bride (my real all time #1) (w/ Ann Sheridan)
Indiscreet (w/ Ingrid Bergman)
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (w/Myrna Loy)
Mr. Lucky
North By Northwest (w/ Eva Marie Saint)
Notorious (w/ Ingrid Bergman)
Operation Petticoat (w/Tony Curtis and Dina Merrill)
Philadelphia Story (w/ Katherine Hepburn)
The Awful Truth (w/Irene Dunne)
The Front Page (w/ Rosalind Russell)
Topper (w/??)

(2) The Thin Man series, with William Powell and Myrna Loy - what style! what clothes! what grace!

(3) A Little Romance (one of the best ever - see David's comments)

(4) All of the Katherine Hepburn/Spencer Tracy movies (even Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, although that's my least favorite). They were just so perfect together.

(5) African Queen, with Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn

(6) Sabrina, with Humphrey Bogart and Audrey Hepburn

(7) The Producers, with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder (David, how COULD you forget ...!!!)

(8) Casablanca, with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman (this is one of those movies that you shouldn't over analyze because then it just gets silly. My favorite ridiculous aspect: Poor Ilse is tramping around Europe, one step ahead of the Gestapo, finally escapes from war-torn Europe with her scant possessions ... which just happen to include several wide brimmed hats, each needing its own hatbox, and several immaculate white linen dresses, which always appear to be perfectly pressed. My goodness -- do you think it will all fit on the plane to Lisbon? Or will she have to pay for excess baggage?)

(9) The musicals with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers (all that wonderful dancing!!!)

(10) Tom Jones, with Albert Finney and Diane Cilento and a cast of thousands.

(11) Dr. No, Goldfinger, From Russia with Love - the original James Bond movies with Sean Connery.

(12) Funny Face, with Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn

(13) Love in the Afternoon, with Gary Cooper and Audrey Hepburn

(14) High Noon, with Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly

(15) The Magnificent Seven, with Eli Wallach, Horst Bucholz, and a whole bunch of really mean men)

In the category of great movies when they came out but which have fallen into discredit because of the personal lives of the director or stars: Cat Ballou (with Jane Fonda, Lee Marvin, and Nat King Cole) (absolutely hysterical -- worth watching despite Ms. Fonda) and Sleeper (my personal favorite of the Woody Allen movies, most of which (don't tell Stuart) I really like (or used to like).

And in the list of movies that just have to be mentioned:

The Longest Day (the longest cast)
Giant (w/ James Dean, Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor)
One, Two, Three (a Billy Wilder comedy about the Berlin wall; I loved it at the time, don't know if it would age well - with James Cagney and Horst Bucholz
The Godfather Saga (all of them - don't quibble over I and II)
Star Wars, IV (Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher)
Reds (Warren Beatty and Diane Keaton)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (Harrison Ford)
The Sting (Paul Newman and Robert Redford)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Paul Newman and Robert Redford)
Exodus (Paul Newman, Eva Marie Saint)
The Maltese Falcon (Humphrey Bogart)
E.T.
The Apartment (Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine)
Saturday Night Fever (John Travolta)

And last but not least "Lips" by George SanMarco. And in the musicals category - Gigi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home