Tuesday, October 21, 2003

More earworm things.

Appropos to David's story below concerning Stuart's total aversion to a certain song, here's an anecdote about TAYRRTOOT and Stuart. It's absolutely true.

A number of years ago, Stuart and I were watching TV in bed, when a news story came on about a family with a missing child. The family was interviewed out in their yard, and there were a number of YRs tied around the OOTs. Stuart's looking at it and asks me what's the reason for all the bows. Now, I have been warned (nay, browbeaten) for years against even the mere whisper of that song title, and I was really in a difficult position.

So I said, "I can't tell you."

"You mean you don't know either?" he asked.

"No. I know, I just can't tell you."

"Why can't you tell me?"

"Because I'm not allowed to."

"What do you mean, you're not allowed to? Tell me!"

"No, I can't. Really."

"Who said you're not allowed to? I want you to tell me!!" (getting a little irate).

"You did. Really, I'd be happy to tell you if I could, but I can't."

Exploding, "This is ridiculous. I want you to tell me. Now, come on, why??"

"You'll just get mad."

"No, I won't. I promise."

"No. I know you. You'll just get mad at me."

"I promise I will not get mad at you. Just tell me. It's driving me nuts."

"Okay, well, if you promise."

"I promise. Now, what is it."

"Well, it's because of that song ..."

"Oh, God! No!!! Why did you tell me! Now I'll never get to sleep!! It's going to be rattling around in my brain all night!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home