Monday, June 02, 2003

Yes, I'm also a neurotic mess.


James Lileks, as usual, has a great online column today. I get, well, nutso, when I don't know where my wife is. It's nice to know that Lileks suffers from the same problem.
I tend to get . . . unhinged when wife & child are very very late, and I can’t raise them. They’d left at two for a bike ride; back in two hours, my wife said. To me that means 120 minutes, each composed exactly of 60 seconds. To my wife, and any other sensible person, it means that indefinable allotment of time that’s longer than an hour but shorter than the entire afternoon. Still, I don’t start to sweat when minute 121 has elapsed and I’ve not seen them through the spyglass or the thermal monitors. In fact I often don’t notice they’re late until they’re really late. Then the sequence starts: “I hope nothing’s happened” becomes “I suspect something happens” becomes “I know for certain that they both fell off a bridge into the Mississippi,” and this leads to horrible conjectures. How long will it take to find them?

I know how you feel, James. I know how you feel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home